John M. Haswell
My name is John Haswell and my personal mission is to provide a safe, respectful and positive learning environment where staff and students feel comfortable coming to school everyday.
I am very excited to be the leader of our great school district. I pledge to spend the remainder of my professional career serving the students of our district. As a life-long member of this community, as well as a 1983 graduate of Shadyside High School, I have first hand knowledge of the pride this community has in our school district. I know the pride I have being an alumnus of our school.
The Board of Education and I have developed six objectives as part of the Superintendent Evaluation System. These objectives are the guiding work for our district. They are as follows:
1. The Superintendent shall develop a financial management plan to balance the budget by 2015 and eliminate deficit spending.
2. The Superintendent shall update the Comprehensive District Safety Plan addressing risk and/or emergency issues.
3. The Superintendent shall create a work plan to build a positive working relationship with all district employees.
4. The Superintendent shall develop a plan to provide the appropriate amount of mental health service for all students.
5. The Superintendent shall plan for safe and functionally sound facilities in order to offer a 21st Century curriculum.
6. The Superintendent shall upgrade all curriculum areas to meet all new standards
The District will have eight new staff members beginning the 2017/2018 School Year. Ms. Dawn Pagels, Pre-school, Mrs. Bethany Perkins, Kindergarten, Ms. Alexa King, Speech, Ms. Karli Bonar, High school Math, Ms. Kaitlyn Carpino, 7/8 Language Arts, Ms. Haley Holenka, 7/8 Math, Mr. Brian Hughes, High School Math, and Ms. Mikalya Schultz, Music and Band.
Mr. John Poilek moves from a High school math teacher to become our new 7-12 Principal.
Upgrades to our facilities are continuing through utilization of Permanent Improvement Funds. The upgrades include, playground at Leona, roof repairs at Leona and Jefferson, goal posts, heating and cooling at Jefferson, plumbing and painting throughout the district, 5-12 Science textbooks, and a new bus.
With our aging facilities and a constant upgrade of our curriculum to meet the needs of state testing requirements, the Permanent Improvement Fund is a vital resource we appreciate that our community provides for us.
It is my goal to continue to partner with the community and make Shadyside Schools as successful as possible. Please do not hesitate to contact my office if you have a comment, suggestion or concern.
John Haswell, Superintendent