John M. Haswell
My name is John Haswell and my personal mission is to provide a safe, respectful, and positive learning environment where staff and students feel comfortable coming to school everyday.
I am very excited to be the leader of our great school district. I pledge to spend the remainder of my professional career serving the students of our district. As a life long member of this community, as well as a 1983 graduate of Shadyside High School I have first hand knowledge of the pride the community has in our school district. I know the pride I have being an alumnus of our school.
Along with the board of education we sat down and developed six objectives as part of the Superintendent Evaluation System. These objectives are the guiding work for our district. They are as follows;
1. The superintendent shall develop a financial management plan to balance the budget by 2015 and continue to eliminate deficit spending. We have been successful so far.
2. The superintendent shall update the comprehensive district safety plan addressing risk and/or emergency issues.
3. The superintendent shall create a work plan to build a positive working relationship with all district employees.
4. The superintendent shall develop a plan to provide the appropriate amount of mental health service for all students
5. The superintendent shall plan for a safe and functionally sound facilities in order to offer a 21st century curriculum.
6. The superintendent shall upgrade all curriculum areas to meet all new standards.
Some changes coming to the district in SY16-17 are the hiring of new staff which include Ms. Kelly Foster High School Resource Teacher, Mr. John Poilek High School Math, Ms. Lindy Cole Music and Band, Mrs. Nancy Weeks Psychologist/Special Education Coordinator and Mr. Matt McFarland Interactive media.
Our High School is now on a 9 period schedule which allows for more offerings for our students.
We continue to make upgrades to our facilities through utilization of Permanent improvement funds as well as donations. These include; Three new buses, three heating and cooling units at Jefferson, air conditioning of the field house weight room provided by a park district grant, Field house roof. We have painted several rooms and halls throughout the district.
It is my goal to continue to partner with the community and make Shadyside Schools as successful as possible. Please do not hesitate to contact my office if you have a comment, suggestion, or concern.